Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Cake Decorating Lesson 3: Two Tiered Cake

Opening week of football season calls for a big cake.  I have been reading about how to stack a tiered cake.  What better time to make one than for a ballgame.  I had printed out a picture of a cake that I wanted to make.  I made some changes to make it my own.  Then as an added surprise my cousins can for a visit so I had plenty of cake for everyone.
This is the finished product.  Not the best picture. That is a little elephant on top.  I found it in a toy store one day.  He it just for cakes.
So the day before I made the chocolate candy pieces I was going to use to decorate with.
I melted the chocolate pieces in the microwave.
These are the two molds I was going to use.  They fit perfectly on the cookie sheet.  That will make it easier to put it in the fridge to firm up.
Candy is melted.
I just needed the elephant part of the suckers.
Drop it on the counter a couple of times to get the air bubbles out.
I then melted some red to make the elephants.
Drop those a few times too. Put them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Now I want to unmold them
Turned out pretty good.
The red elephants turned out too.
This is some gray luster dust.  Now if you watch some of the baking shows you have seen this.
It is a powder.  You can mix it with some kind of liquid to paint.
I wanted to use it dry.
I have paint brushes in the kitchen.  So I dusted the white elephants to give them a gray tint.
They look pretty good gray.
These are stabilizers to hold the second tier up.
The bottom layer is iced.
Use the pan from the top tier to measure where the stabilizers go.
Press them into the cake.
They usually use three.
I add the top tiers and ice them.  The bottom tier is 8 inches and the top tier is 6 inches.
Did a little border around the bottom.
Add one elephant.
The houndstooth is a sugar sheet.  It was in strips. I ordered them from Amazon. It took two sheets to go around this tier. I added the red elephants between the two white elephants.  Then the elephant on top.  The cake I had the picture of had a houndstooth hat on top.  So you can add whatever you would like, except a tiger.  No one wants a tiger.
This is the inside of the cake.  I alternated red velvet and white cake layers.
A look inside.  I already have plans for another tiered cake.  I just need an occasion to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment