Monday, January 11, 2016

Gameday Peppermint Sugar Pretzels

Well unless you have been living under a rock for the last week you know that there is a big game tonight.  Really big game tonight.  No it's not time for the Super Bowl, but College Football's National Championship game.  I think I read there are 16 different ways to watch the game.  Some of them sound pretty cool like watching it from the little overhead camera that flies back and forth across the field. One that would have been nice during our CBS telecast, the sounds of the field with no commentators. But back to the cooking.  I have been making some really good gameday foods to tonight.  I have had this recipe and the pretzels for a while.  I guess I was waiting for the big game.
It smells so good.  I love the smell of peppermint.  It smells so fresh.
 What I love about this recipe is that I can use zip lock bags for easy cleanup.
 The first thing you will want to do is mix up the peppermint sugar.  Start with 1 cup sugar
 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
 Mix that well.  You could even make it a day ahead and then it would be really pepperminty.
 I found these pretzels earlier in the fall.  I guess I was saving them for this recipe.  I love the little football shape.
 Use about 8 oz of the pretzels which is about half the bag.
 Go ahead an crush your peppermint.  I used candy canes left over from Christmas but any peppermint candy will work.
 There was a hammer in my kitchen so I used it.  Normally I would use a rolling pin.  Either will work.
 You just want the pieces to be tiny.
 Measure out 1/3 cup oil
 1/4 cup of the peppermint sugar.  Save the rest I'm sure you will find a use for it.
 Pour the oil in the bag with the pretzels.
 Make sure the are all coated.
 Then pour the sugar in and shake well.
 Pour out on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for 5-6 minutes.  Stir every 2 minutes.
 After the 6 minutes. in the oven.
 To cool them I removed them from the cookie sheet and spread out on foil.
 Melt some white chocolate or red.  Really any color would work.
 Drizzle across the pretzels.
Then sprinkle with the crushed peppermint.

Gameday Peppermint Sugar Pretzels Recipe

1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup peppermint sugar ( 1 cup sugar + 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract)
8 0z small pretzels
2 oz white chocolate melted
4 crushed peppermint candies
Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 5-6 minutes stirring often.

No comments:

Post a Comment