Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Okra Hash

I know this is a strange name and I bet some of you are shaking you head or turning up your nose at the idea of this.  Don't.  I will admit I was a little skeptical when I was making it but the flavors blend so well.  You have to try it.  Both of the vegetables in this recipe are very good for you and full of fiber.
Look at those pretty colors.  You have to try this recipe soon. 
 I checked this cookbook out from the library last week.  That is where I found this recipe.  There are others I will be trying soon too.  She is part of the group Little Big Town.  It's one of the best cookbooks I have looked at lately.  She tells great stories about her family and the different recipes.  Take a look at it soon.  I will share more of the cookbooks that I will be using in the weeks to come.  I just learned she has a new cooking show on the Cooking Channel.  Saturdays 2:30 Central time. I can't wait to check it out.
 This recipe uses coconut oil.  If you don't have this oil you can use olive oil.  If you don't use coconut oil you might want to get some.  They are saying it is one of the healthy oils you can use.  It has a high heat tolerance also.
 Finely chop one onion.
 Finely chop a red and yellow pepper.
 Chop about 2 cups sweet potato.  I will admit it was hard cutting the sweet potatoes.  You want the pieces pretty small and uniform.  I used my veggie peeler to peel the potato and it worked pretty well.
 I used a pot but you can use a skillet that you have a lid for.  Put 2 Tablespoons of the coconut oil in to melt.
 Add the onions and let them cook for a few minutes.
 Add the potatoes and peppers; stir them around.
 Cover and let cook to soften the potatoes for about 5 minutes.
 Then add the okra.  I had to use frozen okra that was thawed.  Fresh would have been better but I didn't have any.  Whether you use fresh or frozen make sure you wash and drain it well.  If you have cooked with okra before you know what I am talking about.  It gets a little slimy.
 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.  If you don't have this you can use regular paprika but to be honest I couldn't taste it.
 Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes.  The longer it cooks the better.  The pieces get a little golden and caramelized the longer it cooks.
You have to try this healthy dish soon.

Okra Hash Recipe
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
3 cups sliced okra
1/2 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment