Monday, June 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Tamale Pie

I have been behind in finding and creating crock pot meals of late.  This was  a quick and easy meal for the crock pot. I have made something similar in the oven with biscuits and I think this one is actually better.
Don't be scared. I know it looks like a lot of ingredients but it really isn't.  Mainly it is just opening cans.
There is a little prep work to get started.  Chopped an onion.  You can use green onions if you have them.
Drain the black beans.  Wash them well.
Brown the ground beef and onion.
Once the ground beef is browned and drained add 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
1/2 teaspoon chili powder.  I added a little extra because I like it spicy.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Mix well.
Pour into your crock pot.  I used my smaller one for this recipe.
Then add the black beans.
1 can of drained whole kernel corn.
Add 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained.  I didn't have a can of tomatoes with chilis so I had to add a can of tomatoes and..
A small can of green chilies
Add a can of enchilada sauce
Mix well.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
About an hour before you want to serve mix up the cornbread mix.  I used a Jiffy corn bread mix.
Add 2 eggs.
Mix well.  Don't may any attention to the ingredients on the back of the box.  All you need are the two eggs.
Put on the top of the meat mixture in the crock pot. Cover.
About 5 minutes before you want to serve uncover the crock pot.
Add about 1 cup of cheese. Cover again.

Time to serve.  Can serve with sour cream or other toppings.
Dig in.

Slow Cooker Tamale Pie Recipe
1 lb ground beef
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
1 can whole kernel corn drained
1 can enchilada sauce
2 green onions chopped
1 pkg corn bread mix
2 eggs
1 cup shredded cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment