Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Buttermilk Biscuits

I started thinking the other day about foods I associate with the south.  Nothing screams southern like homemade buttermilk biscuits.  I will admit that I have not made biscuits too many times.  The frozen ones are so good and so easy it wasn't necessary for me to learn how to make them.  The other night I decided I would forgo the frozen ones and make homemade ones to go with my country fried steak.
If you don't have buttermilk you can make some with 1 cup sweet milk and 1 Tablespoon white vinegar.
I halved the recipe because I didn't need 12-14 biscuits.  So what I am showing you is just half the recipe.  3Tablespoons cold butter
The recipe says to cut it into pieces and place in the freezer until you need it.
I am using the food processor to mix the biscuits.  You can use a pastry cutter if you do not have a food processor.  Add 1 cup plain flour.
Add 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
Pulse the dry ingredients just a little bit to mix.
Add the butter and pulse until it is pea sized.
Add buttermilk
The dough.
Add a little flour to the counter.
Turn the dough out onto the counter.
Kneed the dough a little bit until no longer sticky.
Pat out.  I rolled mine out a little bit too thin.
Cut out.  I used a cutter that was too small really.  You can also use a glass if you have one that is the right size.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place in a preheated 450 oven.  Bake forabout 12-15 minutes.  Watch them so they don't burn on bottom.
They didn't rise up very much and were kinda small but they tasted good.

I am going to give you the full recipe for these biscuits.  You can decide how many you want to make.

Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk.

No comments:

Post a Comment