Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chocolate Covered Cherries Cookies

I found these chips the other day at Walmart and that is what prompted this recipe.  I did not find a recipe that used cherry chips so I made this one up.  My goal is for it to taste like chocolate covered cherries you get at Christmas time.  I hope I was successful.
The recipe is just like a regular chocolate chip cookie.  I haven't shown you yet my secret ingredient.
To 2 sticks softened butter add 3/4 cup sugar.
3/4 cup packed brown sugar.
Beat those ingredients well.
Add 2 eggs one at a time and beat between them.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
Add 1/2 cup cocoa.
Mix well.  Don't know if you can see this or not but I now have a countertop covered in cocoa.
Add 1 teaspoon baking soda.
Add 2 cups plain flour a little bit at a time, mixing well between additions.
This is my secret ingredient.  A friend shared this tip with me years ago.  Add a package of vanilla pudding to your cookie mix and they will stay nice and soft.  I was going to put chocolate in these cookies but did not have chocolate.

Now add the cherry chips.
Mix well. Preheat oven to 350.
Scoop up cookies and place on a cookie sheet with parchement paper.  Place in the oven for about 9 minutes.

Straight from the oven.  Let stand on the cookie sheet for a few minutes.
Let the cookies cool completely.
Now it is time to make the glaze to go on top.  I wanted this to taste like the liquid inside the chocolate covered cherries.
I started with about a cup of powdered sugar.
I added about a tablespoon of milk.
Then I added some left over maraschino cherry juice.  I saved this just for these cookies.
Mix it well.  Keep adding a little bit at a time until you have the consistancy you want.  I like the light pink color too.
I poured it into a plastic sandwich bag to drizzle over the cookies.
Snip the end of the bag just a little bit.
Then drizzle over the cookies.
The cookies all drizzled.
Doesn't that look good?

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cherry chips


No comments:

Post a Comment