Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Victoria's Casserole

A couple of weeks ago I meet with some of my fellow retirees for lunch.  We met at Victoria's Cafe.  I ordered their special of the day and it was a chicken casserole.  Of course when it arrived everyone at the table told me I needed to figure out how to make it.  Well this is my attempt at recreating this casserole with a couple of my own twist to it.
It was a very easy chicken, green bean and corn casserole.
I cooked my chicken.
While the chicken was cooking I put the veggies together.  Drain the cans of French cut green beans.
Be sure to check the beans.  I found this stem in the can.
Drain the small can of sliced water chestnuts.
In their casserole they left them sliced.  I thought they should be smaller.  I just quartered and rough chopped them.
In a bowl, I tossed together the French cut green beans, shoepeg corn, and water chestnuts.
I sauted a small onion.  I let it cool before adding to the veggies.
Their casserole had a cream sauce.  The only cream sauce I have familiar with is cream of mushroom soup.  I added about a cup of milk to the soup and whisked it together.  You might could use a little less of the milk.  When the casserole cooks there is additional liquid coming from the veggies.
Pour the sauce over the green bean mixture. Stir well.
Add the onions and salt and pepper to the mixture.
Chop the chicken.
Mix together everything well. Pour into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray.  Place in a preheated 350 oven.  Heat for about 25 minutes.
Take the casserole out of the oven and add some French fried onions on top.  You could use bread crumbs, crackers or whatever you have on hand.  I just felt it needed something crunchy on top.  Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Removed from the oven and is golden brown.
We had this casserole with a green salad.  It is pretty close if not better than Victoria's casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment