Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paula Deen's Hoecakes

Hoecakes have been around since the mid 1700's.  Sometimes they are called Johnnycakes.  The term originated with workers cooking on the metal part of their hoes.  They are made from a cornmeal mixture.  Now that we have had our history lesson I will proceed.  I have been wanting to make hoecakes for my Daddy.  He loves Paula Deens hoecakes.  We were cooking bbq for Labor Day so I thought I would make them to go with our bbq.
Hoecakes have cornmeal and buttermilk in them which are two ingredients I don't always keep.  I had a little left over buttermilk from another recipe so that was another reason to make them today.
Start with 1 cup self rising flour and 1 cup self rising cornmeal.
Add 1 tablespoon sugar to the meal mixture.
In another bowl add 3/4 c buttermilk
Add 1/3 c plus 1 Tablespoon water
Also add 1/4 c oil or bacon grease.  I did not have bacon grease so used oil.  Bacon grease would have probably added additional flavoring.
Add two eggs to the liquids and whisk together.
The liquids are all mixed together.
Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients and whisk together.
Heat over medium heat about a 1/2 inch of oil or melted butter.
When the oil is hot add the hoecakes. I used my 1/8 c measure to dip them out with.  I got in a hurry with them and flipped them before they were ready and they spread out a little so be patient with them.

 My first two cakes. Drain them on a paper towel.  They could be a little bigger.
The entire stack of them.  You have to watch them and not let them burn.   As I continued to cook them I turned the heat down some.  I think next time I might use my griddle to cook them and not have all the oil.  Daddy liked them and ate some with honey.  I guess honey goes well with Hoecakes.  Paula serves it with hers.

Hoecake recipe

1 c self rising flour
1 c self rising cornmeal
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 c buttermilk
1/3c plus 1 tablespoon water
1/4 c oil or bacon grease
oil, butter for frying


No comments:

Post a Comment