Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Apple Fritters

I don't know if it is the somewhat cooler temperatures but I seem to be rushing fall this year with apple fritters and baked sweet potatoes.  I know we think of fall when we make apple fritters but these are good enough to eat year round and easy enough too.
This recipe calls for self rising flour.  You can use plain flour but I didn't want to have to figure out the baking soda/powder that would be needed.  I always keep a small container of self rising flour just for this reason.
2 cups self rising flour
1/2 c brown sugar.  I keep the bag of brown sugar granules.  It doesn't get hard like the other kind.  It is easy to pour and I have never had any trouble with it in a recipe.
1 teaspoon cinnamon
In a separate bowl, add 1 cup milk and 2 eggs. Whisk them together then add 3 tablespoon of melted butter.
I added the 2 c of chopped apples to the wet ingredients. I used two Gala apples.
While I was finishing up the batter I went ahead and heated the oil in the skillet. You can use a deep fryer and I think I will next time.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
The batter is too thick for the whisk so use a wooden spoon and mix well.
Drop spoonfuls into the hot oil.  Turning when brown.
Drain on a paper towel.
Then roll in powdered sugar.
Now enjoy.  They have a nice crunchy exterior but after they sit overnight they are still good but not crunchy.

Apple fritter recipe

2 c self rising flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1 c milk
2 c peeled and chopped apples
3 T melted butter

No comments:

Post a Comment