Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Frozen Hot Chocolate

For years I have wanted to visit a place in New York City called Serendipity.  Their speciality is frozen hot chocolate. I have been told by friends that have visited NYC that it is impossible to get a reservation to this place.  So if you can't go to NYC for frozen hot chocolate you might as well make it at home. The other Saturday I wanted a treat and I already had all the ingredients to make this so why not?
Chocolate, more chocolate and whipped cream, nothing wrong with that.
Start with 1/4 c of milk.  I used 2% but you can use whichever kind of milk you like.
Chop up 6 oz of chocolate and melt in the milk.  I used a saucepan on the stove but you could melt in the microwave.  You can use chocolate chips or baking chocolate.  I used Ghirardelli chocolate because it's my favorite.
Melt all the chocolate.
Then add 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon full of hot chocolate mix.  There are lots of flavors you can use as well.
Then add 3 tablespoon of sugar.  I used splenda but you could use regular sugar.
Add another 1/2 c of milk and stir.  Take off the heat and let it come to room temperature.

Pour the cooled chocolate into your blender.
Pour the rest of the milk (I added 2 c) to the blender.
Then add 6 cups of ice.  I found that next time it needs to be crushed ice or smaller pieces of ice so there won't be larger chunks in the mixture.
Cover and pulse to mix and break up the ice.
It has the consistency of a Wendy's frosty.  You might need to pulse it several times to break up the ice.
They pour theirs into these pretty cups.  I wanted a nice tall drink so I used my Tervis.  You have to finish it off with whipped cream.  You can put chocolate shavings on top but I thought there was enough chocolate and it was just for me so it didn't need to be real fancy.
This is what I had left over so I put it in the fridge and sipped on it throughout the day.  I did share later on.

Frozen Hot Chocolate

6 oz chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
3 c milk divided
1 T plus 1 t hot chocolate mix
3 T sugar
6 c ice cubes
whipped cream for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment