Monday, September 10, 2012

Pork Loin with homemade Dry Rub

I mentioned in an earlier post that you can make your own dry rubs for ribs and other meats.  I made up some of the Neely's Dry Rub.  You may be familiar with the Neely's they have a show on the Food Network and also a couple of family BBQ places in Memphis.  Don't go there thinking you will see them because they aren't there.  I tried that once.  This is a simple rub to mix up and have on hand.  Store it in an airtight container.
Only three ingredients, sugar, paprika and onion powder.  If you would like to add a little chili powder for a kick you might want to try that.  I might add that before I use it again.  The sugar gives this rub a little sweetness and lets the meat get a nice crustiness.
Add 1 cup paprika
1/2 c sugar
2 teaspoon onion powder
Mix well.

Mix well in a bowl then transfer to a sealable container.
I had a small pork loin in the freezer I wanted to cook.
Cover the loin well with the rub on both sides and in this case the ends too.
I have a rotisserie that I like to use for pork loin and chickens.
Push the rod through the middle of the meat.
Then attach it to the basket and put in the machine.
The machine has a chart that tells you how long to cook for different meats.  The pork takes about 26 minutes per pound.  Here is the finished produce.
Let the meat sit for a few minutes so the juices settle,  then you can slice it.  One of the good things about the rotisserie is that it keeps the meat really moist and tender plus gives it a nice crust on the outside.


Neely Dry Rub
1 c paprika
1/2 c sugar
2 t onion powder

No comments:

Post a Comment