Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Most people think of sweet potatoes as a fall food.  But over the last couple of years sweet potatoes have been hailed as one of those "healthy" vegetables.  A good for you vegetable if you will.  I like them year round and this is my favorite way to fix them.  No tiny marshmallows on sweet potatoes for me.
All you need are the sweet potatoes and some shortening. I keep this one stick of shortening just for my sweet potatoes.

Scoop some shortening on a paper towel.
Then rub the outside of the potato with the shortening.
I always use foil on my cookie sheets because it makes it so much easier to clean up.  Place the potatoes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
After 30 minutes turn the potatoes over and put back in the oven for about 30 minutes.  If your potatoes are smaller they might not take the full hour to cook.  These are pretty large so they will take just a little over an hour.
The finished potatoes.
This is why I like to cooke the potatoes this way.  The skin just peels right off.  Some people will cook them in foil like baked potatoes and that is fine too but I like to take the skins off.  You can also cook in the microwave as well.
Completely skinned and ready for the good stuff.
Add a little butter, cinnamon and sugar.  I like using splenda on mine but you can use whatever kind of sweetener you like.  You might like brown sugar on it as well.  I like to fix several and put them in a container to heat up for later.  They are great for breakfast.  Very filling in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment