Thursday, September 6, 2012

Popcorn Cauliflower

The other day I was talking with some friends about recipes and my blog.  Some how this recipe came up.  They wanted to know if it was on my blog and I told them not yet but I would make it soon.  Shortly after that I was at the store and the cauliflower looked good so I bought some.  I really think you will like this recipe and I know parents are always trying to get their kids to eat more veggies.  Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that taste better when you either put cheese or something else on top of it.  This recipe is both tasty and healthy.
The only thing you need is a head of cauliflower, some olive oil, and some type of seasoning.  The recipe calls for Mrs Dash but I was out and used this Monterey grill seasoning.  I didn't use as much because it has a lot of pepper in it.
What makes this recipe work is cutting the cauliflower into small pieces.  The last time I made this I used pieces that were a little big and they didn't cook up as well so this time I made sure they were small, maybe too small.
This is what the smaller pieces look like.
This is the entire head of cauliflower cut up.
Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the cauliflower and toss.
Then sprinkle the seasoning on the veggies and toss.
This is what it will look like.
Spread the cauliflower out on a cookie sheet lined with foil.  I sprayed the foil too so it wouldn't stick.  Spread it out into a single layer.  Place in a 450 degree oven.  Bake 15 minutes at a time and stir after each 15 minutes.
 This is after 15 minutes.  See it is beginning to get brown and shrinking some.
After 30 minutes.
After 45 minutes.  If the pieces are larger you would probably need to cook an additional 15 minutes but I took this out of the oven now.  They call it popcorn cauliflower but I think it taste like fried okra.  Don't let that keep you from trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment