Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic Shepherd's Pie

Cue the Olympic Theme music now.

I have been planning for several weeks now for my tribute to the London Olympics.  Since most of us can't afford to travel to London for a first hand look at the games, we can experience London at home.  I will be sharing with you during the games food that London is known for.  Now England sometimes gets a bad rap for their food but I have found some recipes that I think you will like.  One thing we always think of when we think of England is High Tea.  I have some great recipes for tea foods.  I hope you enjoy them along with the games.  So get the strawberries and cream ready and lets watch the games.

For Opening Ceremony night I have for you one of the most well known Enlish foods, Shepherd's Pie.

I found a very simple recipe that I think you will enjoy.  I made a few adjustments to the original recipe.  All you need is some ground beef, frozen veggies, cream of mushroom soup, and mashed potatoes.
Chop one medium onion.
Sweat the onions a little in olive oil.
Add the ground beef and brown.  Drain off the grease.
Add the cream of mushroom soup and one tablespoon of ketchup. Mix well.
Add about a cup of peas and carrots and if you like one cup of corn.  The original recipe did not call for corn but I saw several recipes that did so I added it to mine. You can add whatever veggies you like.
Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with non stick spray and add the ground beef mixture to the pan.
Preheat your oven to 400.

Add the mashed potatoes to the top of the ground beef.  You can make homemade potatoes but to save time I used some premade ones.  You can't beat the connivence of them. And they taste good too.
Cover the entire pan with the potatoes.
This was another change I made.  Add some grated cheese to the top.  Some recipes call for it and some do not.  Place in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.  you want the cheese to be bubbly and the potatoes to get a little brown.
The finished Shepherd's Pie.
Welcome to London for the Olympics.  Hope you enjoy the recipes as well as the games.

Olympic Shepherd's Pie

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 c peas & carrots
1 c corn if you like
salt and pepper
mashed potatoes

Preheat oven to 400.

Brown the onion and ground beef.  Drain off the grease.  Add the soup and ketchup, mix well.  Add the frozen veggies and mix.  Pour the ground beef mixture into a greased pan.  Top ground beef mixture with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with some cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment