Thursday, July 12, 2012

Meatball Subs

I found this quick and easy recipe a couple of years ago and have tweaked it a little through the years.  I think you will like this one.
Ragu pizza quick sauce, some plain meatballs, pepper and onion, deli rolls and later on some cheese.  I love keeping these meatballs in the freezer, because they really help me put dinner on the table quickly. You can make meatball subs, Swedish meatballs and even spaghetti and meatballs with them.  Publix has them buy one get one free this week so I will be replenishing my stock.
Thinly slice the onion and pepper.
Throw both of them in a pot.
Pour the pizza sauce in the pot and let simmer until the veggies are tender.  Shouldn't take too long.  You could probably use regular jar spaghetti sauce instead of the pizza sauce but there is a different taste to the pizza sauce.
Then add the meatballs to the pot.  I let these sit out a little bit to thaw but you can throw them in frozen as well.
I have used several different kinds of rolls/buns but find that the deli rolls work the best.  This is part of the tweaking that I told you about.  I use to cut the roll in half and put the meatballs inside but it didn't work out too well.  I have since started cutting a v out of the top and pulling out some of the bread insides to make a cavity.  This works really well.  Either way you make them it is a fork and knife kind of meal.
I put a little bit of cheese in the bottom just to make it gooey. This is mozzarella cheese.
I line the meatballs up in the roll.
Add a little bit of the sauce in the open spaces and place the peppers and onions along the top.
I like to use slice cheese on top because it stays better than grated.  This is provolone cheese.  But you can use whatever you like. Stick in the oven under the broiler to get the cheese all nice and melted.
The cheese is nice and bubbly.
Only thing left to do is get the knife and fork out and dig in.  I hope you and your family enjoy these meatball subs.

No comments:

Post a Comment