Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Simple One Hour Bread

I have discussed here before about my "fear" of yeast.  I think though that I now have overcome that fear.  Last year I started working on learning how to make bread.  I made the bread in a bag several times. This was a teaching kids to bake bread recipe.  I have mastered that recipe so it is time to move on.  This was a simple recipe that is mixed entirely with the mixer.  Even better you throw everything in at one time.  No proofing the yeast. But more on that in a minute.

This recipe called for making it on a cookie sheet but next time I think I will make it in a loaf pan.  I still like the pretty loaves.
This recipe calls for using bread flour.  You can use plain flour instead.
Start with 5 1/4 cups bread flour
2-4 Tablespoons sugar.  I used 3.
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
The reason you do not have to proof the yeast is because you use rapid rise yeast.  I bought the little packets first.  On another trip to the store I wanted to buy the small container of rapid rise and it is the same that you use for bread makers.
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast.  Whisk the dry ingredients together a little.
Then add 2 cups warm water.  Warm water is to be between 110-115 degrees.
Add to the dry ingredients.
Mix for 1 minute to start.

After that one minute see if you need to add a little more water.  I did add just a little bit more. Then mix for an additional 5 minutes.  Set a timer because you do want it to mix that long.  Use the dough hook on the mixer.
See it is beginning to pull away from the sides.

The mixer is doing all the work.
Then turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead one or two times.
Cut in half.
Place on a sprayed sheet and let rise for 25 minutes or so.
I had to place on two sheets.
Cut some slits in the top. Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 25 minutes.

Fresh and pipping hot from the oven.
You have to sample it when it is hot with some butter.
Simple One Hour Bread Recipe

5 1/4 cups bread flour
2-4 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
2 cups warm water

Preheat oven 350 bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment