Thursday, April 2, 2015

Best Buttercream Frosting Ever!

I know the name of this frosting sounds like a dare and I guess it was.  I tried it this morning when I made some Easter cupcakes and it is really good.  I know I have tried lots of buttercream frosting and posted them here but I think I have found a keeper. It makes a good amount which some do not make enough to ice a batch of cupcakes well and I don't make many layer cakes.  I think this one would easily ice a layer cake.  I had some left over that I put in the fridge in case I needed some later.  You will have to keep your cupcakes or cake in the fridge because this is a soft icing.
Aren't these the cutest Easter cupcakes?  You can decorate them any way you like.  If you don't like Peeps you can do them all with the eggs.  These are the chocolate eggs with a hard outer shell.  You can use jelly beans or any of a number of candy that is available now. 
 The heavy cream is what makes this good.
 Start with 1 cup butter flavored shortening and 1 cup softened butter.  I don't know if I have talked about butter before.  I always use unsalted butter if you only have salted butter when you cook/bake with it then leave the extra salt out because it will be too salty.
 Whip the butter and shortening together really well.  You want the added air in there.
 2 teaspoons vanilla.  I used clear again even though I was going to color the icing. You could use almond or any other flavoring you like.
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 6 oz heavy whipping cream
 8 cups powered sugar.  I added it 2 cups at a time.
 When I put the last two cups of sugar in I also added the color so it would mix well.
 I wanted a pretty grass color.
 After the cupcakes cooled I put a thin layer of icing on them first.
 This is a tip that will make the grass. I don't remember the name of it.
 I worked around the cupcakes adding the grass.
 For my bunny peeps I added a toothpick so they would stand up.
 Then add the eggs and they look so cute.  I can see some little chocolate footballs come fall too.
 I think they turned out really cute.  Now off to the fridge with you.
Best Buttercream Frosting Recipe

1 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup softened butter
8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 oz heavy whipping cream

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. These are adorable! I think the frosting sounds good too, and plenty for a layer cake.

    ReplyDelete