Thursday, April 30, 2015

Derby Cupcakes

Saturday is the day for the "fastest 2 minutes in sports".  That's right it's Kentucky Derby Day. I haven't looked at any of the names of the horses this year, but I'm sure they will be creative.  I understand that there could be the first winner that has a woman trainer.  I'm sure they will talk about that in the 2 1/2 hours of "pregame" talk.  This recipe is an interesting twist to the Derby pie that is so popular at the Derby.  I hope you enjoy these cupcakes.  I know I will.

The recipe called for making some pie crust garnishes as well for the top but I chose not to do that.  I did think about making some chocolate horse shoes but ran out of time.  But if you would like to do that, they would be really cute on top.
I will admit I had to make a special trip for the buttermilk for this recipe.  Now I will have to find other recipes to use the rest of it.
Start with 2 sticks softened butter.
Add 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
Mix until nice and fluffy.
Add 4 eggs, one at a time and mix well after each egg.
Add 3 cups of all purpose flour.  BUT add 1 1/2 cups at one time so you can alternate with the buttermilk.
I went ahead and added the 2 teaspoons baking powder and..
1/2 teaspoon salt to the first half of the flour.
Measure out 3/4 cup buttermilk.
Add the first half of the flour
And half the buttermilk.  Mix well.
Then add the second half of the flour
And buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Mix well.
Add 1.2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans.  I used the food processor to get them chopped small.
Mix well.
Scoop into prepared muffin pans.  Place in a preheated 325 oven.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  
While the cupcakes are cooling, mix up the icing.
Start with 8 oz softened cream cheese and 1 stick softened butter
Add 1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla.  I didn't worry about using the clear vanilla this time because the brown sugar will make the icing a beige color anyway.
Add 4 cups powdered sugar
Mix well.  If you need it thicker add a little more powdered sugar.
I used a star tip with a zip lock bag to pipe the cupcakes.
Add a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips
And the final touch is a whole pecan half in the middle.  Store in the fridge.

Derby Cupcakes Recipe

3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter softened
2 1/4 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
Bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated 325 oven.

Icing
8 oz cream cheese softened
1 stick softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla



No comments:

Post a Comment