Monday, July 21, 2014

Double Chocolate Cherry Muffins

There is a very small window during the summer where you can get the wonderful fresh cherries at a really good price.  This is the start of that window.  The cherries seem to be really sweet and juicy this year. When I saw this recipe used fresh cherries I had to try it and they were priced right to try this week too.
I chose to use mini chocolate chips since I was going to make mini muffins
Look at how pretty those cherries are.  I would not be making this recipe if I didn't have the cherry pitter.  It makes the work easier but don't wear a white shirt while you are pitting them.
While you are waiting for your butter to soften you can pit and chop 1 1/3 cups cherries. I actually misread the small print and chopped 1 1/2 cups.
Start with 2 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup sugar. Mix until fluffy
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon cherry extract.  I didn't have cherry extract so I used maraschino cherry juice. Not sure if it is the same or not but at least there is the cherry flavor.
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour, add a little at a time
1 cup milk, alternate the milk and flour
Add the chopped cherries
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Isn't that a pretty batter.  I had to taste it and it reminds me of the Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.
I sprayed and filled mini muffin pans.  Insert into a preheated 400 oven.  Bake for about 15 minutes for the small ones.  They might could have baked another minute or two.
I had two trays of mini muffins and 9 large ones.  I baked the large ones about 20-25 minutes.
Nothing beats chocolate and cherries.

Double Chocolate Cherry Muffin Recipe

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 sticks butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon cherry flavoring
1 cup milk
1 1/3 cup chopped cherries
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 400.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.



The recipe says you can use frozen cherries that are thawed and dried well.













No comments:

Post a Comment