Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Cheese and Bacon Okra Poppers

I have the okra monster at the house this weekend and I was given some really big okra.  I saw this recipe and thought that the big okra would be good like this.  You could make jalapeño poppers the same way if you like.
Look at all that okra.  I have other things I will have to make with it.
Take 8 oz of cream cheese that has softened.
I added some pepper
Salt
A little chili powder
Cut some slices of bacon in half.  Cook just a little bit in a skillet.
Add some grated sharp cheese to the cream cheese.
Drain the bacon.
Gently slice off the front of a piece of okra.
Pull all the seeds and membranes out of the inside.  There were some large seeds.
Using a small spoon add some of the cheese mixture in the middle.  Had I had a little more time I could have put it in a plastic bag and pipped it in the middle.
Wrap the bacon across the top and secure with a skewer.  Had I thought about the okra being so large I would not have cut the bacon.
The pan is ready to put in a preheated 425 oven about 6 inches from the heat.  Cook for about 8 minutes.
I couldn't get the rack that close but they turned out pretty good.

Cheese and Bacon Okra Poppers Recipe

Bacon
okra
1 8 oz brick of cream cheese- the recipe calls for chive cream cheese
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese 
1/4 cup green onions chopped- I didn't have these
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


Preheat oven to 425.  Bake for about 8 minutes.














No comments:

Post a Comment