Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Bread in a Bag

If you have cooked for very long there is at least one thing that either you can't make or you are "scared" to make.  Homemade bread is that for me.  I like knowing exact things.  When the recipe says warm water I start asking myself what is warm.  I have read that with yeast if the water is too hot it kills the yeast and the bread won't rise and if it isn't hot enough it won't activate the yeast.  I don't like trying to cook that way. So I finally found this recipe that is designed for kids.  I think sure I can do this.  If the little kids in the picture can make bread then I can.  So I bought some fresh yeast and set out to break my bread phobia. You will have to get to the bottom of the recipe to see if it worked or not.
Yes that is a zip lock bag sitting on top.
1 cup of plain flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 package rapid rise yeast which is equal to 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast.
I read that yeast is activated at water temperatures between 100-110 degrees.  So I got my bath turtle out to get the temperature of the water.  When it was close to 110 degrees it was time to measure out some water.
1 cup water
Pour into the bag and take the air out and squish around until it is well mixed. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Can you see those bubbles?  It is being activated.
Measure out another 1 cup flour
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 12 teaspoon salt
Put them in the bag and seal again and squish until well mixed.
add another cup of flour
When you have the third cup of flour mixed well, turn it out on a lightly floured surface.
Knead for about 5-10 minutes.  I don't think I kneaded mine long enough.
Spray one large loaf pan or two small ones.  Place the dough in the pan.
Cover with a towel and let sit in  warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
After 30 minutes.  Place in a preheated 375 oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
It is nice and brown when taken out of the oven
I should have kneaded it better so that line is not across there.
For a first loaf of bread it wasn't bad.  the end was a little doughy but the middle was really good.  Some butter on the warm bread was great.  And the family enjoyed a little honey on a piece.  It was really easy to make and I will try it again before I move on to other bread recipes now that yeast doesn't scare me any more.

Bread in a bag recipe

3 cups plain flour divided
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 pkg rapid rise yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoon 
1 cup warm water
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.


















No comments:

Post a Comment