Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kentucky Derby Pie Bars

I have always wanted to go to the Kentucky Derby and wear a pretty floppy hat. Well I won't be going this year but I will have some special treats that are Derby worthy.  So Saturday tune into the Derby and sing along with "My Old Kentucky Home" as the horses line up. Then cheer on the winner as you enjoy these Derby bars.
Graham cracker crumbs were the only thing that I don't normally keep in my pantry.  So you may have all the ingredients to make them tonight.
Start with the crust.  Melt one stick of butter and let it cool.
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
Pour the cooled butter into the cracker crumbs.
Mix them well.
Press into  a sprayed 13x9 baking dish.  Make sure they are pressed in there well.
All pressed in.
For the filling start with 1 cup sugar.
Add a melted stick of butter that has been cooled to the sugar. Mix well.
Add two eggs and mix well.
Add 1/2 cup all purpose flour.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.
1 cup chopped pecans.
Mix well.
Spread the filling on top of the crust.
Spread over the crust.  place in a preheated 325 oven for about 33-38 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  Let cool well before cutting.
While I was baking today these two pretty little birds showed up at my feeder.
Dig in.

Kentucky Derby Pie Bars Recipe

Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter

Filling
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment