Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Easy Strawberry Napoleon

I had some fresh strawberries from Maggie Valley and remembered seeing this recipe.  It was just the perfect ending to dinner.  This dessert is night and light and airy.  I changed the original recipe up so and I will tell you the things I did differently.
The base for this recipe is puff pastry.  I have found that it is good to keep a box in the freezer because it has so many uses.
Thaw one sheet of the puff pastry per the pkg directions.  When thawed lay the sheet out on the counter.
Cut down the three seams.
Then cut each piece in half.
Place on a baking sheet.  I went back and put a piece of parchment paper under the dough.  Place in a 400 degree preheated oven.  Bake for about 15 minutes.  I watched it closely after 10 minutes.  I didn't want them to get too brown.
Then in a bowl add 1 cup milk.  I used 2% milk.
Add one pkg of pudding mix.  The recipe calls for vanilla but I didn't have vanilla I had white chocolate and cheesecake.  I ended up using the cheesecake and it tasted really good.  So go with what you have in your pantry.
To that add 1 cup whipped topping.  Fold the cool whip into the pudding.
Make sure it is mixed well. Cover and place in the fridge.
Let the pastries cool.
This is not a dessert that can be made ahead of time.  All the pieces can be ready but you need to put it together when you are ready to eat it.  Split three of the puff pastry pieces.
Spread part of the pudding mixture on the bottom half.
Slice some strawberries and place on top.  I found out it is better to chop the strawberries into smaller pieces than to slice them.
Add another piece of puff pastry on top of the strawberries.  Put a layer of pudding mixture on top of the puff pastry.
Put another layer of sliced strawberries on top of the pudding and then top with the top piece of puff pastry.
Sprinkle with a little confectioner's sugar to make it look pretty.
Garnish with a spoonful of pudding and half a strawberry.  Do the same with the rest of the puff pastry and pudding.  This recipe will make 4.  It would be really easy to double and use both pieces of puff pastry.

Easy Strawberry Napoleon Recipe

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract ( I didn't use this)
1 cup whipped topping
2 cups stemmed and sliced strawberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds toasted ( I didn't use these either)
powdered sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment