Thursday, May 30, 2013

One Pot Stovetop Mac and Cheese

I am on another quest to find the best mac and cheese recipe.  I found this one that looked really easy so I tried it.  Wasn't bad but not what I am looking for just yet.  I think this recipe could be tweaked just a little bit.
I tried the new pasta with the hidden veggies in it. I was curious to see if there was a difference in taste. I will be honest I could not tell any difference in the pasta.  If it adds some vitamins and minerals to a meal, moms give it a try.  But I would hide the box so they don't know they are getting veggies.
Start with 2 cups low fat milk.  I used 2 %.
Add 1 Tablespoon butter.
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt.  The recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg but I didn't add it.
Put it in a pot to simmer.
Rinse the uncooked pasta with cold water.
Dump it into the milk mixture. The pasta is going to cook in the milk.
While the pasta-milk mixture is simmering grate a heaping cup of cheese. You can use a mixture of cheese.  I used a little Parm cheese and then a medium cheddar cheese.
After the pot gets up to a simmer lower the heat to low and cook for around 15 minutes or until the milk is absorbed. Stiring occasionally.
Once the milk is gone turn the heat off and remove pot from the heat and add the cheese.  Stir the cheese into the pasta.
Cover the pot for a few minutes.  I think I should have added some additional milk to smooth the cheese out a little.
The finished product.  It was good but a litle dry and not so creamy.  A little milk would have helped that.

One Pot Stovetop Mac and Cheese Recipe
2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
2 cups low fat milk, more if needed
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 heaping cup of grated cheese



No comments:

Post a Comment