Monday, May 20, 2013

Apple Strudel #1

While we were in Germany we were on a quest to find the best apple strudel.  When we came home I was on a quest to find the best apple strudel recipe.  I have found a couple that I will be trying in the coming weeks.  This is the first one that I tried.  I will say that it is probably the easiest of all the recipes that I found.
The puff pastry is what is used to make this crust.  And I know breadcrumbs seem strange.
Peel and chop about 2 cups apples.  I used a golden delicious apple and I chopped up 3 apples.
Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons of flour
Toss to mix.  Let set for about 20 minutes to release the juices.
In another bowl mix 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar.  The recipe calls for chopped nuts in this bowl too but I didn't add nuts.
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs.  I think the breadcrumbs are used to give the sugars some body in the strudel.
Mix well.  I used a fork to break up some of the lumps of brown sugar.
Thaw the puff pastry per the instructions on the box.  Lay out one sheet and use a rolling pin to make the seams blend into the rest of the dough.
Sprinkle about half of the sugar/bread crumbs mixture in the middle of the dough.
Then add about half the apple mixture on top.
Lay both ends over the apples.
Then take one end and pull it over the apples. Then roll it over to bring up the other side.
Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the seam side down.  Make sure the seams are pinched closed and no apples are showing.
Repeat with the second piece of pastry.
Put one egg in a bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon of water to the egg.
Beat the egg well.
Brush on both pieces of pastry, coating well.
Cut a couple of slits in the top to let steam out.
Bake in a preheated 375 oven for about 40 minutes.  I set the timer for 30 minutes and then started watching it for the next 5-8 minutes.  You don't want to over cook it.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.  Now my husband says it has to be Blue Bell ice cream.
You can also sprinkle the top with a little confectioner's sugar.

Apple Strudel #1 Recipe

1 pkg puff pastry thawed
2-3 baking apples
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3 Tablespoon light brown sugar
2 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoon bread crumbs
1 egg with 1 teaspoon water beaten for brushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment