Thursday, May 23, 2013

Banana Sticky Buns

I have had this recipe since my high school home ec class.  That has been a while.  I will pull it out every now and then when I have some bananas that need to be used and I don't really want banana nut bread.  This is a nice change of pace.  They are good for a snack and also for breakfast.
The base for this recipe is Bisquick.  I use the heart smart kind and it works just fine.
Start out with a muffin tin that has been sprayed.  Add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar in each cup.
All the cups have brown sugar in them.
Then add 2 teaspoons of butter to each cup.  On reflection I think it probably would be better to put the butter in first.  I really don't measure the butter just cut off a slice and put it in.
They all have butter.
Then add three pecan halves.  If you had rather put chopped pecans that will be fine too.
Once all the cups have pecans in them place the tin in the oven so the butter melts and mixes with the brown sugar.  Preheat the oven to 450.
In a bowl mix 2 cups bisquick.
Then mash the bananas.  The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of mashed bananas.  I used the three bananas I had and probably added too many.  The dough was a little sticky.
Mash the bananas really well.
Don't let the tin stay in the oven too long.  Just long enough to melt the butter.
Save your banana peels to put on your roses.  They like them.
Dump the bananas in the Bisquick. I think it's a little too much bananas.
Mix until all the dry Bisquick is incorporated.
Turn out on a floured counter.  Like I said this was a little sticky.
Roll out into a rectangle.
Have 2Tablespoons of butter softened.
Spread the butter on the dough.
Then sprinkle 1/4 cup of brown sugar on top of the butter.
Spread it around.
Then start on one side and start rolling the dough.
Get it all rolled up.  Mark off the roll to make sure you can get 12 cuts on it.
Cut and place in the tin on top of the brown sugar mixture.  Mine do not look very pretty but I guess it is the taste that matters.
Once the tin is full place in the preheated 450 oven for about 10 minutes.
When the rolls are finished cooking immediately invert onto a baking sheet.
The finished rolls.  Had I put the butter first then the brown sugar I think there would have been more of the caramel drizzled down the side.

Banana Sticky Buns Recipe

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
2 cup Bisquick
36 pecan halves
2/3 cup mashed banana
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar


2 comments:

  1. I have been searching for this recipe for weeks. I made them for my family 30 years ago and the recipe has disappeared.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe came from my high school home economics class. Every now and then I just need to make them. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete