Monday, May 21, 2012

Sautéed Peppers & Onions, and Mushrooms

There is nothing I like better than saute'ed peppers and onions.  I could eat them on almost everything and the smell of them cooking is out of this world.  I am going to show you today how to saute' them.  You can use them with steak or other grilled meats or to add to ground beef for other recipes.
First thing you need to decide is how much you need.  I like to use sweet onions because the taste is milder than other types of onions.  Unfortunately they do not last as long in the pantry.  I love green peppers.  I have been told when I was young I would go to the garden and pick one and eat it like an apple.  I still would probably do that.  I like using both green and red peppers.  The red peppers are a little sweeter and have a really good flavor.  They are good if you are doing a vegetable tray with dip.  They add nice color to a dish too.
Cut the onion in half vertically.  Then cut thin slices.  I have used 3 medium size onions for this.  At this point the pieces are not all separated.
Add a bit of butter to the skillet with the onions.  The amount of butter depends on how many onions you use.  You will want to start out on a lower temperature.  If you are saute'ing peppers and onions to be added to say ground beef you can use olive oil instead of butter.
While the onions are cooking cut your peppers.  Cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds and membrane from inside.
Then cut in thin slices.  Be sure and stir the onions during this time as well.  It takes the onions a little longer than the peppers to soften and cook.
Add a little bit of Archie's sauce to the onions.  Only do this if you are going to use the peppers and onions on grilled meat.  If you would like more information on the Archies sauce check back in the meatloaf post.
They are beginning to cook down well.  I wish you could smell those onions cooking.
Now add those pretty green and red peppers to the onions.  You might need to add a little more butter and Archies at this time.

They are cooking down very nicely. 
The peppers and onions are now ready for the steak.


Now for the mushrooms.  I do not eat mushrooms so this is from guest chef Joseph.  
One or two jars of sliced mushrooms.  I find a cast iron skillet works really well for the mushrooms.  Butter and Archies are all you need to saute' the mushrooms for a steak.

Drain the mushroom of their liquid.  Dump the jars of mushrooms in the skillet and add a chunk of butter.  The amount of butter depends on how many mushrooms you are cooking.


They are cooking nicely.
All the liquid has been absorbed and the mushrooms are ready for their steak now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment