Tuesday, February 10, 2015

German Chocolate Magic Bars

Yesterday was my husband's birthday so over the weekend I asked him what he would like me to make for him to take to work.  It didn't take long for him to tell me German chocolate magic bars.  At the time I wasn't sure there was such a thing but he likes magic bars and German chocolate cake so I guess he merged the two.  I did find a recipe on Pinterest, my go to cookbook.  They turned out pretty good, and I think they enjoyed them at work.

They look pretty good.  I am going to let the sit overnight before cutting.  They cut better when they sit for a while, if you can wait.
 Like most magic bars.  The recipe called for a devil's food chocolate cake mix but I used German Chocolate and I think they turned out well.
 Melt one stick of butter.
 Add the cake mix.
 1 egg
 Stir well and it will be thick.
 Press in the bottom of a sprayed 9x13 pan..  It does not need to go up the sides. Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 7 minutes. The crust won't look done.
 Yes I used the same bowl to keep from messing up another one. Start with one can sweetened condensed milk.  I use the fat free.
 1 teaspoon vanilla
 1 egg
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix well.
Pour and spread evenly on top of the crust.  Be careful because you will pull the crust up into the filling.
Looks like a German chocolate cake.
Now sprinkle about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips on top.
Now it is ready to go back in the oven for an additional 24-30 minutes.
Try and resist cutting right away.


German Chocolate Magic Bars Recipe

Crust
1 box of some type chocolate cake mix
1 stick melted butter
1 egg
Bake in a 350 oven for 7 minutes

Filling
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup pecans
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Bake for an additional 24-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment