Monday, February 2, 2015

Blood Orange Brownies

Last week I found a new store in Madison, King's Olive Oil.  It is a really neat store that sells infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars.  A friend told me about this place and their blood orange brownies.  So I had the time and it was a pretty day so I ventured to the far reaches of Madison County.  I'm not really sure I was still Madison County.  They have a web site and a Facebook page so check out the different oils and vinegars that they offer.  I have my eye on several more for later.  So back to the brownies.  You remember those chocolate oranges that you use to get at Christmas?  You whacked them on the counter and they broke into segments.  The batter for these brownies smelled just like that.
You really need to give these brownies a try.


I know they look like ordinary brownies but they have been taken up a notch.
 You can make your own recipe and exchange the oil for the blood orange olive oil or you can use a box mix.  When I was in Publix the other day they had their mixes buy one get one free so it was easier to just pick up a mix.  You will need the mix and whatever ingredients as listed on the back.
 1/2 cup water
 2/3 cup blood orange olive oil.  If you notice it is a little darker than your usual olive oil.
 2eggs
 Mix it well.  This is when it starts to smell like those chocolate oranges
 This is a 9x9 baking dish.  Spray well and then pour the batter in.  Place in a preheated 350 oven. Bake for whatever it says on the box.  It was 30-34 minutes.
 Let them cool completely before cutting.
I was having company and I wanted to share these brownies with them.


Bonus Recipe

Strawberries in Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar

I know this might not sound good but it was pleasantly surprisingly good.  I bought a bottle of the strawberry balsamic vinegar as well.  I was thinking about making a dressing for salad but then I bought some strawberries and thought I would try it together.
 All you need are some fresh strawberries and a bottle of the balsamic vinegar.
 Chop the strawberries.
 Instead of adding sugar try the balsamic vinegar.  I promise you it will not taste like vinegar.
 Toss well.
 Cover and place in the fridge overnight. Have I shared these lids with you?
 I love them because they create a seal when they cover the bowl.  So tight that you can lift the bowl and all off the counter.
 Toss again when you are ready to eat.  You can just eat the strawberries or
You can have them over a bowl of ice cream.  Very good.  They had peach balsamic vinegar that was very good and I can't wait until it is peach season.

King's Olive Oil is located in the Publix shopping center on County Line Rd.  Their web site is: http://www.kingsoliveoil.com  There are recipes so you can get an idea of how to use the oils and vinegars.

No comments:

Post a Comment