Monday, October 20, 2014

Long Bomb Sandwiches

With a name like this they have to be perfect for football season.  I actually found this recipe through a Hallmark email.  I bet you didn't know that Hallmark's website has recipes and party ideas.  Go check it out sometime.  This was another recipe that was for the Arkansas game last weekend.  Got to have roasted pig for that game.
If you can roast pork on the grill it is best, but this is a close second.
It really doesn't take much to make this.  I bet you have most of these items in your pantry, except for the pork.
Slice the onion.
Place the slices in the bottom of the crock pot.  Have I mentioned how much I have loved the crock pot liners?
In a bowl mix up the dry rub for the pork.  Start with 1 Tablespoon paprika.
1 Tablespoon brown sugar.
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.  I see more and more recipes with smoked paprika and I have either just used regular paprika or left it out.  But since this was going to be a bbq pork I thought it needed that smoked flavor so I bought some.
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried mustard
2 teaspoons chili powder
Mix well.
Spread the dry rub on the pork.
Let it sit for about a half hour or so with the seasoning on it.
Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the crock pot.
Sit the pork on top of the onions. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.  I turned it on when I went to bed and let it cook over night.
When you are ready to pull the meat...
Pull the pork out of the crock pot. Discard the juices from the crock pot.  I removed the liner and added a new one.
When you have all the meat pulled and the fat discarded.
Place back in the crock pot on warm.
Add some of your favorite bbq sauce to the meat.
Toss it around to coat well.  Cover and keep warm until you are ready to eat.
Fix on sandwich rolls or buns.
This recipe has their stamp of approval.

Long Bombs Recipe

4-5 lb pork shoulder or pork butt
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried mustard
2 teaspoon chili powder
large onion
1 cup chicken broth
bottle of barbecue sauce
sub sandwich rolls
pickles


No comments:

Post a Comment