Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Honey Vanilla Granola

If you remember a couple of weeks ago I made some granola for my Daddy, I have made him some more for Christmas.  This is the first recipe I have made.   Stay tuned because there will be more. Granola is easy to make and suppose to be good for you.
This recipe I think he will like because it has dried blueberries in it.  He really likes blueberries. The recipe called for yogurt covered raisins but I didn't have any and I am not sure he would like those, so I left them out. But you can include them if you like.
The recipe calls for 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted.  The oil is solid so it was hard to make sure how much you have until you melt it.  Just stick it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it will melt.  I let it sit and cool a little bit before I add it to the rest.
Here it melted.  There is just a little bit more than 1/4 cup.  Coconut oil is suppose to be a really good oil for you.
Put two egg whites at room temp into a bowl.
Add 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed.  I used light brown because that is what I keep.  Use whichever you have. I whisked the eggs whites and sugar a little so there would not be lumps in the sugar.
I added the oil.
1/4 cup honey.  If you put it in the measuring cup that is still a little warm it will just pour right out without sticking to the side.
1 Tablespoon vanilla
Whisk it all together really well.
Add 3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats.
Start whisking/stirring the mixture.
It is mixed really well, and all of the oats are coated.
Turn out onto a parchment lined rimed cookie sheet.  Spread it out well.
It is spread out really well.  Place in a preheated 325 oven.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Turn the pan after 10 minutes.
While it is baking, measure out 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup dried blueberries.  Measure out 1/2 cup yogurt covered raisins if you are going to use them.
After 20 minutes take it out of the oven.
Right away sprinkle with the white chocolate chips.  You want to add them while it is still hot so that they will melt.
All sprinkled on top.
Then start turning it to spread the melted chocolate around.  Use the wooden spoon to help break up the larger pieces.
It is all mixed well. Let it cool completely.
When it is cool add the 1/3 cup dried blueberries.
Sprinkled all throughout.
I stored this in a zip lock bag, but you can use any kind of container as long as it is air tight.

Honey Vanilla Granola Recipe

2 large egg whites, at room temp
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup yogurt covered raisins
1/3 cup dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 325.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Turn pan after 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment