Monday, December 30, 2013

Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese

Do you ever set out some ground beef to thaw for dinner but not really know what you are going to do with it?  That is what happened to me the night I made this recipe.  I didn't want to make the same ole same ole.  So you know where I headed, to Pinterest.  I found this recipe I had saved into my food to make file.  Most importantly I had everything in the pantry to make this.  It was good but there are a few things I would do differently next time.  I will share those things with you.
First thing I would use hot enchilada sauce instead of the mild.
I added the onion.  It wasn't in the recipe but everything is better with a little onion in it.
Brown the ground beef and onion.
Cook the box of medium shells pasta.
To save on the dirty dished I used the pan I cooked the pasta in to make the sauce.  Add the 10 oz can of red enchilada sauce and 2 cups heavy cream
Add 1 teaspoon ground cumin
I added 1 teaspoon chili powder.  I would also add maybe a 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper too.
Whisk this sauce well.
Heat until mixture bubbles.  Reduce heat.
Add 2 cups colby jack cheese
Then add the ground beef mixture.
Mix well.
Add the cooked pasta.
Mix well.
We have these bowl-plates that I decided would be good for this dish.  I also fancied it up a little.  On the white plate I added some paprika to the rim.
On the red I used some parsley.
Here they are filled.
Sometimes it is nice to dress up your plates even if it is just an ordinary night with simple food.

Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese Recipe

1 lb medium shells, cooked and drained
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
1 can 10 ox red enchilada sauce
1 lb ground beef cooked and drained
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt

I added 1 teaspoon chili powder and chopped onion.  It needed a little something to give it a kick.  Kids would probably love this because it isn't spicy.  Adults would want a little more spice.


No comments:

Post a Comment