Thursday, December 5, 2013

25 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 1 Lump of Coal Cookies

I found this recipe in my favorite place, Pinterest, the other week and knew I had to make them this Christmas.  I plan on having some fun with them.  When I send some cookies to friends I will include a lump of coal for all the naughty kids in the house. I hope you will try these and have some fun with them as well.  All naughty boys and girls deserve a little coal in the stocking this Christmas.

This is just a basic sugar cookie recipe that has black food coloring added.
Start with 2 sticks softened butter and 1 cup sugar.  The recipe says caster or super fine sugar works best.  I did not find any so I used regular. You can put the regular sugar in the food processor and make it fine if you want to take the time.
Beat until fluffy.
Add 1 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat well.
Add 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Add 3 cups plain flour.  Add one at a time and beat well between cups.
Now add some black food color/dye.  You can find this food coloring in the cake decorating section of the store or craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Add a little and then keep adding until you get the color you want.
This was after my first addition.  It is more grey which makes me think of a bleeding armadillo cake.  Ask if you don't get it.
I added some more and decided I would not get a black black color.
I wrapped the dough and put in the fridge for about 20 minutes.  Long enough to clean up my mess.
I took out a small portion of the dough, and put the rest back in the fridge.
Then start breaking the dough off.  You can roll it into balls but you want irregular shapes and that pulled off look to make it look more like coal.  Play around with it until you figure out what works for you.
When you get one pan ready put it in the freezer until you get them all ready.  Not long at all.  Take the sheets out as you use them and place in a preheated 350 oven.  Bake for about 8-10 minutes.  One of the problems I had was how to tell if they are done because you can't tell if they are getting brown.
The coal out of the oven.  I was wondering while I was making these if I left them in the oven long enough would they turn into diamonds?

Lump of Coal Cookies Recipe



3cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
black gel or paste food coloring
Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.











No comments:

Post a Comment