Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Bake

I was looking for some recipes to use my leftover ham in and ran across this one.  I liked it because it also included broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  We need to eat more of our veggies this winter.  I changed this recipe up a little bit and I will share what the recipe called for and what I used instead.  The only thing the husband said was it needed more cheese.  So keep that in mind.
This is a great use for that left over ham.  It also freezes well.
Start with 1 1/2 cups uncooked rotini pasta.  Cook according to directions on the box.
Add a 1/2 onion chopped.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese
During the last couple minutes of cooking for the pasta add the veggies.  You can add them frozen and cook a couple minutes longer.  I thawed mine before I read that they could be frozen.
Drain the pasta and veggies.
1 1/2 cup chopped ham.
Mix everything together in a large bowl.
Doesn't that look good?
Spray a casserole dish and pour in the casserole. Here is one of the changes I made.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup crushed croutons.  I didn't have any and didn't want to buy any because I don't usually use them. Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 30 minutes.
I still wanted a crunch on top so I used Panko.  I put about a cup in a bowl.
Add 1/2 cup cheese to the panko.
After the 30 minutes take the casserole out of the oven and put the panko/cheese mixture on top.  Put back in the oven for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Fresh from the oven.
A nice all in one meal.

Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Bake Recipe

1 1/2 cup rotini pasta uncooked
16 oz pkg frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower blend
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
1 1/2 cup cooked ham chopped
1/4 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup croutons crushed

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Then put topping on and bake another 5 minutes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment