Monday, July 3, 2017

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Okay most of you saw the post from last week about our Gilbert show.  Well to get ready for the show I have been making things to put in the freezer for our Open House on Sunday.  I have decided that mixing up cookies and scooping them up and putting in the freezer for later is not a bad thing.  I'm thinking this Christmas I am going to do this.  Just think you can mix up cookies, scoop and put in the freezer in November or even October when you have a little more time.  Then, when it is Christmas time you can bake your cookies fresh without the mess of mixing them.  I am going to try my gingerbread cookies in the freezer in a couple of week to test them.  I may have just made my holidays much easier.  I will keep you updated.  Now back to this recipe.  I love oatmeal and butterscotch together.  I think you will like this recipe. 

I know you are thinking "I thought she said she put them in the freezer".  I did but I wanted to test to see how long they needed to bake when frozen.  So Friday I did a test run of one cookie from each of my recipes.  I will add both times in the end. 
This recipe uses old fashioned oats.
Start with 2 sticks of softened butter.  I always use unsalted butter.  If you use salted butter then don't put as much salt in as the recipe calls for.
Add 1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar.  Mix well until nice and fluffy.
Add 2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla.  I used the last of my Mexican vanilla on these recipes.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon.  I know you noticed that this is a heaping teaspoon.  If you like cinnamon add a little extra.  If you don't like it you don't even have to add it.
Add 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats.  Now you can use quick cooking oats if that is all you have.
2 cups or 1 pkg butterscotch chips.
Mix well.
I scooped them out onto parchment lined cookie sheets to put in the freezer for a while.  I bought a new 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop.  I like it.  It is a nice size scoop.  I labeled the zip lock bags with what kind of cookie and the temperature to bake with time.  
I placed in a preheated 350 oven.  Regular time is 10 minutes.  Frozen time is 13 minutes.  Let them sit on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to a rack to cool.  You will think they are not done when you take them out of the oven but they firm up as they sit there.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies Recipe

2 sticks softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 pkg or 2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake 10 minutes.  If you freeze bake for 13 minutes.  Leave on cookie sheet for a few minutes. 

Cookies that are frozen will last about 3 months in the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment