Follow by Email

Monday, July 3, 2017

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Okay most of you saw the post from last week about our Gilbert show.  Well to get ready for the show I have been making things to put in the freezer for our Open House on Sunday.  I have decided that mixing up cookies and scooping them up and putting in the freezer for later is not a bad thing.  I'm thinking this Christmas I am going to do this.  Just think you can mix up cookies, scoop and put in the freezer in November or even October when you have a little more time.  Then, when it is Christmas time you can bake your cookies fresh without the mess of mixing them.  I am going to try my gingerbread cookies in the freezer in a couple of week to test them.  I may have just made my holidays much easier.  I will keep you updated.  Now back to this recipe.  I love oatmeal and butterscotch together.  I think you will like this recipe. 

I know you are thinking "I thought she said she put them in the freezer".  I did but I wanted to test to see how long they needed to bake when frozen.  So Friday I did a test run of one cookie from each of my recipes.  I will add both times in the end. 
This recipe uses old fashioned oats.
Start with 2 sticks of softened butter.  I always use unsalted butter.  If you use salted butter then don't put as much salt in as the recipe calls for.
Add 1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar.  Mix well until nice and fluffy.
Add 2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla.  I used the last of my Mexican vanilla on these recipes.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon.  I know you noticed that this is a heaping teaspoon.  If you like cinnamon add a little extra.  If you don't like it you don't even have to add it.
Add 3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats.  Now you can use quick cooking oats if that is all you have.
2 cups or 1 pkg butterscotch chips.
Mix well.
I scooped them out onto parchment lined cookie sheets to put in the freezer for a while.  I bought a new 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop.  I like it.  It is a nice size scoop.  I labeled the zip lock bags with what kind of cookie and the temperature to bake with time.  
I placed in a preheated 350 oven.  Regular time is 10 minutes.  Frozen time is 13 minutes.  Let them sit on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to a rack to cool.  You will think they are not done when you take them out of the oven but they firm up as they sit there.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies Recipe

2 sticks softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 pkg or 2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake 10 minutes.  If you freeze bake for 13 minutes.  Leave on cookie sheet for a few minutes. 

Cookies that are frozen will last about 3 months in the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment