Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mother's Day Cinnamon Rolls

The Jan/Feb edition of Taste of the South had cast iron southern sweet rolls on the cover of their magazine.  Talk about getting your attention.  There were several versions of these rolls.  Well Mother's Day was around the corner and I thought I make some for my mother for her Mother's Day breakfast.  Since I knew she wouldn't get breakfast in bed I planned of making her some and me some.  Well they were at my house earlier in the week and Daddy kept looking at the magazine and talking about how he wanted some cinnamon rolls.  Can you believe he told her to pick up some of the canned refrigerated ones from the store?  So you can imagine both of their surprises when they saw they had a pan of rolls for breakfast. 

Well you have read about my year of becoming more comfortable with yeast and this was another trip in this journey.  I must say they were easy to put together you just have to have time to let them rise twice.  I am going to continue on this yeast journey this year and hope you will continue to travel with me.

The recipe called for whole milk but I had 2% so I was a little worried about that and the light sour cream, but they worked.  That is some very special cinnamon that I used today.
This is the basic sweet roll dough recipe.  You can change up the filling if you like.  That is one of the great things about this recipe.  Start with 3 1/2-3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
Add 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast to the flour.  Or one package.  I have the jar kind that I keep in the fridge.
Now in a saucepan add 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
6 Tablespoons butter.  Chop the butter up into smaller pieces because that will make it melt faster.
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Put the saucepan on the eye and cook on medium heat stirring until the mixture reaches 120-130 degrees.
Here is my instant read thermometer.  I ordered it from Amazon and it is great for testing the temp of water or this mixture for breads.
Add to the flour mixture and mix until dough forms.
Add one egg.
Mix that in.
Change out to the dough hook.
Mix for 5 minutes.  Set a timer.  It will seem to take forever. The dough starts to pull away from the sides.
Spray a bowl with non stick spray.  Turn the dough into the bowl and turn over to coat the dough with the spray. Cover the bowl and place in a warm place to rise.  I put a tv tray in the garage because it was nice and warm in there.  Let rise about an hour and a half.
While the dough is rising you can mix up the filling. 3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon.  I used a little over 1 Tablespoons because mine was a very strong Vietnamese cinnamon.  It says to use 1/3 of what the recipe calls for.  It smells so good.
Mix it up well and break up any lumps.
The dough has risen.  You know I always worry about that.
Punch the dough down.  That was kinda fun.
Now lightly flour your surface and turn the dough out.
Roll into a 14x10 rectangle.  No I did not measure it.
Smear butter all over the dough.  You can't really see it.  Use your hands.  Your hands will get a nice moisturizing while you do this.
Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture all over.
Start with the long side roll the dough up.  Now all those hint sights say to use dental floss to cut cinnamon rolls.  I used a knife.
The recipe called for using a cast iron skillet.  I wanted disposable pans.  Cover and let rise for about 45 more minutes.  They went back to the garage.
Don't the look so pretty?  Place in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes.
I did not mix up the icing that the recipe called for.  My daddy doesn't like the thick really sweet icing.  He would rather have none but since it was Mother's day I was going to put some on them.  I started with some powdered sugar.  I didn't measure I just poured some out.
I had some heavy cream in the fridge so I decided to use that.  You can use milk or even water.
Pour as much as you need to get it as thin as you want it.  I want it thin enough to drizzle on top.
I wish you could smell these rolls.
Drizzle the icing on top.  I didn't let them cool as much as they said either.  The inside of the rolls are nice a gooey.  I will be trying these again.  Maybe put the orange glaze on them.  So try them soon for someone special in your life.  If I can make them you can, it just takes a little bit of time.

Sweet Roll Dough Recipe

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
6 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 egg

Filling

1/2 cup butter room temp- softer the better
3/4 cups brown sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Mix dough and let rise 1 1/2 hours.  Punch down, roll out, add filling.  Let rise 45 more minutes.  Bake 30 minutes on a 350 preheated oven.

1 comment: