Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Trisha Yearwood's Chicken Broccoli Casserole

I thought about calling this the "I don't have to go to the store casserole"  I had laid out chicken to thaw and I wanted to make some kind of casserole.  Every recipe I found had either onions or milk or both in them and I was out of both and didn't really want to run to the store.  So I kept looking and this is what I found.  It was soooo good.  Very easy to put together too. Give it a try because I know you and your family will enjoy it.
Now granted I did add extra cheese from what the recipe called for but I didn't hear anyone complain about that.
 Go ahead and cook the chicken early so it will be cooled enough to cut up.  Also you could use left over rice. The recipe said to cook the broccoli and if you used fresh I would suggest doing that but frozen I just made sure it was thawed.
 Spread out 2 cups cooked rice in the bottom of a sprayed 9x13 baking dish.  I think I want to try it with different types or rice.  I think wild rice would be good.
 Layer 2-3 cups broccoli on top.  Make sure you get the frozen broccoli that is florets instead of chopped broccoli.  In the chopped broccoli you get those hard stem pieces.
 In a bowl mix 1 cup sour cream.
 1/2 cup mayo.  I used light on both of these.
 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice.
 The recipe called for cream of chicken but I don't really like that as well as cream of mushroom.  So add whatever kind of cream of soup you like.
 Add a little pepper.
 and salt
 Okay the recipe called for 10 oz of shredded cheese and to use half of it in the liquid mixture.  I put almost 8 oz in the liquid.  We like cheese.
 Chop up your chicken breast.
 Mix all of this together well.
 Spread on top of the broccoli.
 And then put some more cheese on top. Place in a preheated 350 oven for 40 minutes.
 Look at all that good gooey cheese
It was so good.  We also had homemade fresh bread too.

Chicken broccoli casserole recipe

2 cups cooked rice
3 cups cooked broccoli
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
cream of soup
10 oz shredded cheese
salt and pepper
2-4 cooked and chopped chicken breast

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 40 minutes

1 comment: