Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Disney's "The Grey Stuff"

The title does not make this recipe sound appetizing at all, but don't let it fool you.  Let me start at the beginning. Last fall Disney opened a new section at Walt Disney World that included the Be Our Guest restaurant.  Everyone that ate there kept saying you have to try the "grey stuff".  I pictured in my head the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark or one of those Indiana Jones movies where they were eating out of monkey heads.  I know you don't want to picture that at the dinner table.  I could not have been more wrong.  I saw the recipe and knew I had to try it.  So if you can't get to Disney, you can bring Disney to your house.  Try this recipe and then you too will know what the big deal is about the "grey stuff.
 I was really expecting a much more difficult recipe from Disney.
Start with a small box of instant vanilla pudding mix.  I used the sugar free.
Add 1 1/2 cup milk to the pudding.  I used 2 % milk.  Whisk well and then set in the fridge for a few minutes.
You need 15 oreos.  Do not use double stuff oreos.
Using a food processor chop the oreos into very fine crumbs.  You do not want any big pieces left.  If you do not have a food processor you can use a zip lock bag and a rolling pin.  It will take a little longer to make the small pieces.

This is what 15 oreos look like crushed.
Add the oreos to the vanilla pudding.
Mix well.  Not a very pretty color is it?
Add 1 8 oz tub of Cool Whip.  I used the lite Cool Whip.
Fold the Cool Whip in.  Still not a very pretty color.
Add 3 Tablespoons of instant chocolate pudding mix.  It is not quite all of the box of pudding.
Mix that well.  The mixture is very thick. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
When you are ready to eat it take it out of the fridge and stir a little.
To make it look pretty use a star decorating tip in a zip lock bag.  I will say it is much thicker than icing and my bag broke.
Here is the first one that I made going around in a circle like I ice cupcakes.
This is the second one and I used the tip in the middle and squeezed it out.
Add some decorative pearls on top and enjoy.

The Grey Stuff Recipe

1 3.4 oz pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cup milk
15 oreos 
1 8oz tub Cool Whip
3 Tablespoons instant chocolate pudding mix
edible pearl sprinkles.


No comments:

Post a Comment