Monday, February 3, 2014

Cheeseburger Soup

I had this recipe in my "to make" folder last year, but then it turned warm before I had a chance to make it.  This year we have had plenty of chances to make soup on those cold winter days.  I am ready for spring.  We had a really nice warm day today but I think it is winter's cruel joke because they are calling for more snow next week.  Enough all ready! So go to the store and buy the ingredients to keep in the pantry to make this nice filling soup during our next cold spell.
There is a little prep work to this soup but well worth it.
Start by browning the ground beef.  Drain the grease off.
Add 3/4 cup chopped onion. I just chopped a medium onion.
Add 3/4 cup shredded carrots.  I didn't measure it I just grated a couple of carrots.
Add 3/4 cup diced celery.  I chopped a couple of stalks.  I guess if you don't like celery you can just leave it out.
Add 1 Tablespoon butter to the pan.
To the bowlful of veggies add 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes. If you have fresh herbs you can use those instead.
Add all the veggies and herbs to the pot and cook until tender.
Stir well.  It shouldn't take long for the veggies to get tender.
Peel and dice 4 cups of potatoes. Again I didn't measure, I just chopped potatoes until I had as many as I wanted.
Measure 3 cups chicken broth. Add to pot.
Add the potatoes.
The large container was three cups.
Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In a small skillet melt 3 Tablespoons butter.
Add 1/4 cup all purpose flour.
Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.  Add to the soup, and bring to a boil.  This will act as a thickener for the soup. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
Use 1 pound Velveeta cheese.  I know they say there is a shortage of cheese but I was able to find it pretty easily.  If you can't find it use 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
To make it melt faster cut into cubes.
Measure 1 1/2 cups milk.
Add the cheese and the milk.
Stir until cheese is melted.
Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup sour cream.
Dip up and garnish with some extra cheese.

Cheeseburger Soup Recipe

1 lb ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 Tablespoons butter divided
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 lb Velveeta processed cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup sour cream




















No comments:

Post a Comment