Thursday, February 6, 2014

Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast cookies are a big thing right now.  I really like the Belvita ones.  Well the soft ones.  These cookies really remind me of those.  They are easy to make, and high in fiber.  One thing I was wondering about was if they would keep you from getting hungry before lunch and they did.  Bake up a batch for your family to try.  There are lots of recipes out there to try.  I will be making some more in the future.
I did have to buy some ground flax seed, I didn't mind because I have seen several recipes that call for it.
Start with 1/2 cup peanut butter.  I used smooth but I bet you could use crunchy too.
1/4 cup brown sugar.  Mix well.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil.  I have seen a lot of recipes that use coconut oil too.  It is actually suppose to be good for you as well.  It is a solid in the jar.  Dip out what you need and then put in the microwave for about 10 seconds and it will become liquid.
Add the liquid coconut oil.
Add 1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
This is what the ground flax seed looks like.
Add 2 Tablespoons of flax seed.
Add 3/4 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour.  Mix well.  This is a dry mix.  It isn't going to stick together well like normal cookies do.
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Mix well.  See how coarse this dough is?  You will have to press it together.
Using a large cookie scoop, scoop up the dough.  Press it together because it will crumble.
Press them out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Press down on the tops of them a little bit. Place in a preheated 350 oven for about 9 minutes.  Leave on the cookie sheet until they are fully cooled so they won't crumble.
Funny story.  I set the timer for the cookies and then went to look up something on the computer.  After a while I thought they should have beeped by now.  Went in to look and I had set the clock instead of the timer.  They cooked longer and that might have actually helped them stay together better.  I don't recommend overcooking them though.
Surprise your kids with cookies for breakfast this week and watch the smiles on their faces.  You can smile too because these are healthy cookies.

Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies Recipe
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
3/4 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake for 9 minutes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment