Friday, December 1, 2023

Lump of Coal Cookies

 I know none of you are bad little boys and girls that will be getting coal in your stockings for Christmas. Do naughty children still get switches and coal in their stockings? These are some really fun little cookies. You could have some fun with these cookies. And I know you wouldn’t leave these out for Santa.


They look just like lumps of coal.


These are the easiest cookies you can make. You probably have everything you need except maybe the black gel coloring.


Start with two sticks softened butter. I cut it up this time because I didn’t set it out to soften as early as I should have. So making it smaller helps soften it up. You can even grate it.


Add 1 cup sugar. Mix the butter and sugar until nice and fluffy.


Add 1 egg. You need your eggs to be at room temp too.


1 teaspoon vanilla.


1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 


1/2 teaspoon salt


Squirt some black gel color to the butter mixture. I like adding coloring before adding flour. The color gets more evenly mixed if you do this. Use gel coloring too because it is a richer color and it won’t add liquid to your batter. You want these cookies to be a dark black.


Gradually add 3 cups plain flour.


Look at that nice black dough.


These are my test cookies. You want the cookies to have rough, jagged edges like a rock. So I just use my fingers to pull dough to make rocks. I will say I had to wash my hands for a while to get the black dye off. Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Closer to the 8 minutes.


My tray of rocks for the freezer.


Thank goodness they don’t taste like coal. These are a nice little butter cookies that just happens to look like a rock.

Lump of Coal Cookies Recipes.

3 cups plain flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup softened butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

Black gel food coloring

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 8-10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment