Monday, December 4, 2023

Grinch Cookies

 You’re a mean one Mr. Grinch….. these cookies are too good for mean ole Mr Grinch. The Grinch has become very popular in the last few years, in fact I have decorated with him a lot this year. I think he had a big birthday in the last year or two so that might be why he is so mean. Several years ago we did a Grinch night. I made these cookies and made Grinch punch and we watched the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas show. It was a lot of fun and the special treats made it even better. So try that this year and maybe make a new tradition. Now for the cookies.


This recipe uses a cake mix. Cake mix cookies are a lot of fun to make. They also make whipping up the dough easier. This one uses a French vanilla cake mix. I have not tried it with a regular white cake mix so I can’t tell you how they compare.


Add the cake mix to your bowl.


2 eggs


Melt 6 Tablespoons butter. That is NOT a whole stick of butter. Let it cool for a few minutes. You don’t want to scramble your eggs.

Add some green gel color. You can add as much or as little as you like depending on how green you want them.
In this recipe and in another one from this year I use gel food coloring. You can find the squirt bottles of coloring at Hobby Lobby. Walmart has the small bottles that you will use something to get the gel out like a toothpick or a small spoon. I like the squeeze bottles simply because you just squirt.


Add the melted butter.


Mix it well. You can see it start to become green.


This is a pretty green. Now I am going to share something with you. This dough is sticky, very sticky. I had little bits of green dough everywhere by the time I finished rolling these cookies. You have been warned.


In another bowl add 1 cup powdered sugar. I had to shift it because I had some lumps in it.



Add 1 teaspoon corn starch and stir together.


Drop the dough into the powdered sugar mixture and roll.


I out it on the parchment lined baking pan.

When I made these before I didn’t put hearts on them. I found some hearts and out them up to use in these cookies. I am not freezing the cookies with the hearts on them. I am afraid they might break or fall off. I will add them when I bake.


I had small hearts too but they are too small and get lost.


The only bad thing about cake mix cookies is that they don’t make that many cookies per batch. This is all that one cake mix will make. So plan accordingly.



See the small hearts faded away.

I didn’t forget to tell you about baking instructions, if you notice the bottoms look like they are burnt. Well they don’t taste burnt but they look too dark. I had forgotten about this problem. The original directions called for 375 and bake for 9 minutes. I also left it on the pan too long after  taking it out of the oven. I think I am going to bake at 350 next time and start at 9 minutes. They will continue to bake after they come out if the oven. And then take them off the baking sheet soon after coming out of the oven.  This is why I do test cookies to double check the baking instructions. 

Grinch Cookie Recipe

1 box French vanilla cake mix

6 Tablespoons melted butter 

2 eggs

Green gel coloring

1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon corn starch. 

Preheat oven to 350 bake 9-10 minutes watch bottom of cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment