Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mac and Cheese Waffles

Yes you read that right.  Just when you didn't think mac and cheese could get any better it does.  Last week we were watching a new show of the Food Channel, Guilty Pleasures.  All the different Food Channel cooks were sharing their guilty pleasure foods. One was these mac and cheese waffles.  As I was watching it I said I think I can make this.  So this week I tried it.  There are a few kinks I need to work out but it worked and I had a few happy campers for dinner that night.  I think I might try it next time with my panini press. You have to try this recipe.

Look at all that crispy, cheesy goodness!
 The first thing you need to decide is what kind of mac and cheese recipe do you want to make.  I made a decadent recipe with white cheddar and Gruyere cheeses.  You could make this with a box mix if you have to.
 We are going to make the roux to start. 1/4 cup butter
 1/4 cup all purpose flour.  Wait about putting the flour in until the butter is melted.  You don't want the heat too high.
 While you are waiting for the butter to melt grate up 1 cup white cheddar and 1 cup Gruyere cheeses to have ready.
 Measure out 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni.
 Okay the butter is melted pretty good.
 Add the flour.
 Whisk until smooth.  You don't want it to turn brown.
 Now add 1 cup milk.  I had 2 % but if you want it really rich us whole milk.
 1/2 cup half and half.
 Whisk until it starts to get thick.  Don't have the heat on too high.
 Now add the cheeses.
 Whisk until they are good and melted.
 Then add 1 teaspoon salt
 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
 1/8 teaspoon cayenne.  I heaped it a little.
 The macaroni has been cooking during this.  So drain it but don't rinse it.
 Now add the mac to the cheese mixture.
 Stir well.  Now that is good enough to eat right there.
 So this is the part I made up.  I lined a cookie sheet with foil just for easier clean up.
 I spread the mac and cheese on the sheet.  I tried to make it even. I let it cool.  I even put it in the freezer for a little bit.  I don't think I needed to do that.
 When you are ready to waffle it, pour some panko into a flat pan.
 I added some parmesan cheese to the panko.  Mix well.
 I used a round cookie cutter to cut out the mac.  I then put it into the panko mixture.  The panko didn't want to stick to the top so I just piled it on top.   The bottom it would stick to it.
 Get your waffle iron hot, and ready
 Have some ready to go.
 I placed the round in the middle of the iron.  I did spray the waffle iron with a little Pam.  And of course I need to peak to see how it was coming.
 This was the first one.
They weren't the prettiest thing I have ever made but the crusty cheese in all the little squares was great.

Mac and Cheese Recipe

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1 cup Gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder


No comments:

Post a Comment