Monday, June 1, 2015

Cherry Pecan Cookies

Normally these would be Christmas cookies, and no it's not Christmas in May.  You remember a couple of weeks ago I told you a story about marachino cherries and my aunt that helped foster my love of them.  Well this weekend the family got together to say goodbye and share some really funny family stories.  I had to make something that had cherries in it.  I must say it pained me to cut these in half.  Make them now to share with family or save this recipe for some holiday baking.  The holidays can't be too far away because Hobby Lobby is putting some Christmas stuff out.  And I know some of you out there are say but it was May!! For crafters it's never too early to start on Christmas.
These were such nice simple cookies that are soft with the nice crunch of the pecans and the sweetness of the cherries. 
 This is an easy butter cookie rolled in pecans.
 Start with 2 sticks of softened butter and 3 oz of softened cream cheese. Whip that well.
 1 cup sugar
 1 egg
 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1 teaspoon almond extract.  Mix well.
 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
 Mix well.  The dough is going to be very sticky.  The recipe says to put in the fridge for at least an hour.  I like to keep it in the fridge overnight but didn't have time this time.  You just don't want it to be so sticky.
 While you are waiting on the dough in the fridge chop up about a cup and 1/4 or so of pecans.  I didn't measure them out I just chopped some.  They could even be chopped smaller.
 Then as much as it pains me to have to cut these cherries, cut 36 cherries in half.  I didn't think whole ones would stay on top of the cookies.
 Preheat the oven to 350 while you are rolling the cookies in the nuts.
 Place the cookie on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place the cherry half in the middle of the cookie.
 This sheet is ready for the oven.  Bake for 7-10 minutes.
Cool and then place in a container. 

Cherry Pecan Cookies Recipe
2 sticks softened butter
3 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
36 cherries halved
Chill dough at least one hour
Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 7-10 minutes. 

This is a picture of all the siblings with their mother.  My cousin said it was hard to find a picture where they all had their mouths closed because they were either laughing or talking.  That's my family always laughing or talking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment