Friday, June 12, 2015

Jurassic Park Cookies

For those of you that might not know a new Jurassic Park movie is opening today.  The original movie opened in 1993.  Can you believe it has been that long.  AMC showed all three of the old movies the other week so you can be ready for the new one.  So I am sure you are asking what does that have to do with food.  I get lots of recipe emails every day.  Earlier in the week I got one with these cookies.  I had to make them.  The first order of business was to find a toy dinosaur.  It's harder than you might think.  I managed to find one from a friend so I was able to make these cookies.  So you could make these cookies before you go see the new movie.
Complete with a dinosaur footprint.
 These are a basic butter/sugar cookie.
 Start with 2 sticks softened butter
 1 cup sugar
 Beat well and add 1 egg
 Beat until fluffy
 2 teaspoons vanilla
 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 3 cups all purpose flour.  Add one at a time and mix well between each cup.  Batter will be thick and sticky.
 Get out wax paper, plastic wrap or press and seal to wrap the cookie dough.  You want to make a log. Once it is wrapped you can roll it around to make it more round.  I saw another version of this recipe and they rolled the dough out and cut out round with a cookie cutter.  I wish I had done that because the cookies would have been more uniform.
 Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
 Take it out of the fridge.
 Slice off cookies.
 Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Preheat oven to 350.
 You need about 1 Tablespoon cocoa.
 Now it time for the dinosaur.
 The dinosaur will now walk over the cookies.
 Using a paint brush (I have some I keep in the kitchen to use with food). Use the paint brush in the cocoa to darken the footsteps.

 You can see them up close now.  I stuck them back in the fridge for a few minutes before I baked then.  I didn't want them to spread too much.  Then place them in the oven and bake 7-9 minutes.
 Remove from the oven and let cook on the cookie sheet for a few minutes.
 "Did I do all these footprints?"
Now you have some prehistoric cookies.

Jurassic Park Cookies Recipe

1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cocoa

Chill dough
Preheat oven 350.  Bake 7-9 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment