Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole


What is the perfect comfort food?  Why Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole that's what.  With all this snow, ice and rain we have had lately you just need something to make you feel better.  I don't make this casserole very often, mainly because it makes so much.  But it does reheat well and it is great for breakfast.
I love those crusty, cheesy edges.  Next time I am going to make it in a cast iron skillet.
You would think there would be more ingredients in this delicious dish.
Start by spraying a 9x13 baking dish.  Then layer the thawed hash browns in the bottom.
Melt one stick of butter.
While the butter is melting, chop up a 1/2 cup of onions or so.  I didn't measure mine, but I like onions.
The butter is melted and a little cooled.  Add the onions.
I salted and peppered the potatoes.
Add 8 oz or around 1 cup of sour cream
Add the cream of chicken soup.  You could use cream of mushroom and I probably will next time.
Mix all this well.
Spread on top of the potatoes.
Now add about 2 cups shredded cheese.  I probably used more because I really like the cheesiness of this casserole.  Place in a preheated 350 oven and bake for 45 minutes.
I turned the oven to broil for the last minute or two of cooking so the cheese gets all nice and bubbly and brown.
Now that is a great comfort meal on a snowy evening.

Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole Recipe

1 bag shredded hash browns
8 oz sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 stick of butter melted
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cups cheese

Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment