Thursday, March 14, 2013

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I have a couple of St Patrick's Day recipes for you to get you ready for the big day.  Corned beef is really easy to make when you put it in the crock pot.
You make it like a roast with potatoes and carrots in the crock pot.
Wash and cut up your potatoes.  Depending on the size of the potatoes will determine how many pieces you cut them in.  I halved a couple of mine and some I left whole.  I normally like to use the little potatoes and put the in whole.
Peel and cut your carrots or use baby carrots.  For the carrots and potatoes too you can add as many or as few as you would like.
Cut up and onion and add the veggies to the bottom of the crock pot.
Open up the corned beef package and take out the seasoning packet.  Save this because you will add it.
Rinse off the meat.
Then add it to the pot.  This is the right side.
Turn if over so the fat side is up.
Add the seasoning packet to the pot.  I think there is celery seed and bay leaves and I am not sure what else in the packet.
Add some water to the pot until the veggies are covered.  Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or more.  Sometimes I like to add the cabbage wedges to the crock pot a couple of hours before dinner.  But today the crock pot was a little too full to add the cabbage so I steamed it in my steamer.
Remove from the crock pot when you are ready to eat.  I try to take the fat off the top of the meat before serving.
May the luck of the Irish be with you as you enjoy your corned beef.

I had plenty of leftovers from my Tuesday night meal that on Wednesday I had them again.  This time I chopped everything up and put it in a skillet to heat.
The pieces were too large to be called hash but they were very good.  Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage all chopped and in one pot.  I added a drizzle of olive oil to the skillet just so they wouldn't stick and there would be a little moisture so it wouldn't dry out.  Turned out pretty good.  Give it a try with your leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment