Wednesday, March 13, 2013

At the End of the Rainbow Cake

I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew I just had to make it and with St Patrick's day around the corner it was the perfect time to try it.  I will be making this recipe again with a few changes.
Don't be alarmed at all the ingredients it really is very easy to put together.
Start with a white or yellow cake mix.
Add the 1 cup of water
The 1/2 cup of oil
And the 3 eggs from the back of the box.  Depending on your cake mix will determine the amount of these ingredients you will need.
Mix well.
Nows the fun part.  Divide the cake batter between 6 different bowls.  The recipe said about 1/2 a cup in each.  I had a little bit of batter left over so I then divided that between the bowls.
The 6 bowls of batter.
Now add the gel food coloring to the bowls;  red, yellow, orange, blue, green and purple.
Now mix those well.  My purple wasn't as dark as I would have liked.
Now drop the colors one at a time in a 9x9 baking dish.  Spray the dish first.  I started with red.  Pour it in the middle of the pan.
Add orange on top of the red.
Add yellow on top of the orange.
Blue
Green
Purple.  Just add them on top of each other and the batter will spread out.  Bake the cake per the instructions on the box.  I placed this in a preheated 350 oven and baked for about 35 minutes.
Fresh from the oven.  Let cool completely.
When it is cool add holes to the cake.  Use the end of a wooden spoon.
Add about 20 holes.
Pour on can of sweetened condensed milk over the top making sure to fill up the holes.  When I make this again I might not add the milk to the cake.
The milk is poured over the cake.
Spread it over the top of the cake.
Stir up the whipped cream before adding it to the top.
Spread the whipped cream over the cake.
Now take 15 golden oreos and place in a zip lock bag.
Crush them with a rolling pin.
You don't want them crushed into tiny pieces you want some of them in chunks.
Sprinkle on top of the cake.  The cover and place in the fridge for several hours before serving.
Look at the rainbow in the cake.
Each piece has a rainbow.


No comments:

Post a Comment