Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

 This recipe is a combination of a recipe from our church cookbook and me adding some other things to the soup. I like thick soups with lots of veggies. You can make this soup whichever way you would like. You can add the extras like me or just some of them. Put what you like. It’s what I did.


Perfect for a cold winter night.


The extras I added was carrots, celery, onion, and peas. 


I chopped one medium sweet onion.


I chopped up two stalks of celery. I also chopped up some of the celery leaves. They add some flavor to the soup.


I chopped up two carrots.  I added all the veggies to my pot with some olive oil to sauté a little bit to soften them. This soup doesn’t cook that long so the only way to soften the veggies is to cook them a little extra.


While they were cooking I prepared the rest of the ingredients to go in.


See they look good.


Add a total of 64 oz chicken broth. I used low sodium. You can make it a combination of broth and water. I put the full 64 oz of broth and I added some water also.


This recipe calls for 8 cubes of chicken bouillon. I only had 6 and it was fine. Because of the bouillon cubes I did not add any additional salt. I did add pepper.


Let the broth simmer to dissolve the cubes.


Turn the broth up to bring it to a boil. Then add three cups or so of egg noodles. 


Let them cook for about 10 minutes. Stirring often.


Toward the end of the cooking time I added the frozen peas.


Then add two cans cream of chicken soup.


Your chicken. I used canned chicken. I rinsed and drained the chicken and then fluffed with a fork. You can cook your own chicken and cut it up. But the canned chicken makes this a very quick meal to put together.


Stir it well to break up the soups and chicken. 


The last thing to go in is 1 cup sour cream. Stir well.



We had ours with a grilled cheese sandwich. Notice the napkin under the bowl. This keeps the bowl from sliding around on your plate. You may not need that but it comes in handy here.

Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe

64 oz broth or water or combo

8 cubes chicken bouillon

3 cups egg noodles, uncooked

2 cans cream of chicken soup

3 cups diced, cooked chicken

1 cup sour cream


These are my add ins: chopped onion, celery, carrots and peas.


No comments:

Post a Comment