Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Butter Swim Biscuits

 I have to tell you I had never heard of these biscuits until recently on a Food Network baking competition show. I was very curious and started looking for a recipe. I found one that looked good and so last night I tried it. I have made regular biscuits before, it’s a messy endeavor. And to be honest the Mary B frozen ones are just as good and so much easier, so that is what I usually make when I need biscuits. I have found my new biscuit. These were so easy and mess free. They puff up really big and are nice and tender on the inside. I know the recipe sounds strange but trust me. Give them a try soon.


Yes these are biscuits.


The one ingredient that I don’t usually have on hand is buttermilk.


The first thing you will want to do is melt one stick of butter. I think I want to try something different next time. More on that later.


The next thing you need to think about is your dish. It needs to be deep enough that the butter doesn’t bubbly out of the pan. This is a nice deep pan. The pan also needs to be a 8x8 or 9x9 pan.


Butter is melted.


Pour it into the bottom of the baking dish. Go ahead and preheat the oven to 450. Yes you read that right.


Next add 2 1/2 cups all purpose plain flour to a bowl.


4 teaspoons baking powder. I told you they were going to puff up.


4 teaspoons sugar


2 teaspoons salt. Stir the dry ingredients together.


Add 2 cups buttermilk to the dry ingredients. That’s all you need.


Stir until everything is mixed well.


Now pour the batter into the pan on top of the butter. The batter is going to “swim” in the butter while they bake.


Make indentations in the batter to make 9 biscuits. It will make it easier to cut after they bake. No rolling or having a biscuit cutter needed.

Now they are ready for the preheated 450 oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 


Fresh baked biscuits. These cooked for about 22 minutes.


Look how nice and big and fluffy they are.


I had mine with some fresh homemade strawberry jam that a friend gave me and they were so good. You have to try these biscuits.

Butter Swim Biscuits Recipe

Preheat oven to 450 while you are putting the biscuits together.

2 1/2 cups plain flour

2 cups buttermilk

1 stick butter

4 teaspoons baking powder

4 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

Next time I am going to melt the butter in the pan while the oven is preheating to get it hot. Then pour the batter in the pan I think that will make the bottom a little crispier. They were good this way but I just want to try it.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment